Alcuin Regional Retreats for Classical Teachers
Alcuin Regional Retreats
Every year the Alcuin Fellowship conducts retreats for school faculties in various regions of the country. The format of the retreat mirrors that of our summer retreat. Like our summer retreat, we try to keep the size manageable (less than 35 teachers) in order to encourage great conversation and fellowship.
A school faculty retreat is conducted by one our four regional Alcuin chapters/
The theme for these retreats collaboratively determined by the local chapter in concert with the National Council of the Alcuin Fellowship.
This year we will be hosting three regional retreats: one in Richmond, VA; one in Santa Clarita, CA; one in the Waco, Texas area.
Here are the essential elements of a regional Alcuin retreat:
- Two days in length (generally Thursday, Friday and possibly Saturday morning)
- Alcuin Fellows from the regional chapter are present to lead the retreat and engage others in conversation
- Presentations: Approximately three presentations each day with plenty of time for conversation and discussion
- When: Usually the winter or spring of a given year
- Theme: Themes will vary from retreat to retreat, but are generally a blend of both the philosophical and practical
- Cost: Reasonable!
- Application/Registration: Educators may register for any of the regional retreats on the SCL website here.
- Contact person: Christopher Perrin ( email@example.com)
THREE REGIONAL RETREATS
- Richmond, VA: March 25-27.
- Santa Clarita, CA: Feb. 27-29. The Alcuins West Retreat for Classical Educators will be held this year at The Master’s University, just north of Los Angeles, February 27-29. Plenary speaker Dr. Chris Schlect of New Saint Andrew’s College will teach on Quintilian’s ‘Institutio Oratoria’ ‘Education of an Orator’–a crucially important formative text in classical studies, and a work over which the great Renaissance scholar Erasmus was ecstatic. It may be the single most important classical text on education, rhetoric, and character formation. Dr. Grant Horner will also lead a tour of the Getty Cultural Center in LA, one of the world’s greatest art museums, and do a talk on “Christianity, Culture, and the Pursuit of Beauty.” These discussion-based retreats are small and space is extremely limited. Info and registration is available here: Alcuin West Registration
- Waco, TX: January 17-18. The retreat will be based on Josef Pieper’s book, Leisure the Basis of Culture. Learn more here: Alcuin Texas Retreat
Alcuin West Retreat Location: Trinity Classical Academy
See the Map Below